Small Group Opportunities
Adult Spiritual Development is vital to the formation of faith. We at Aldersgate UMC are dedicated to providing opportunities to experience God in a variety of ways, adult small groups are one of those ways. Here are listed some of our adult small groups, but wherever there are two or more gathered God’s presence can be found. If you would like to add a group to our list please contact email@example.com
Adult Sunday School meets 10:50 am September through May
A contemporary group with varied interests. Lessons focus on personal Christian growth by applying scripture and Christian principles to contemporary social issues and daily living. Fellowship and sharing are important components of the class. Teaching is shared by those members who are comfortable leading discussion. Outside speakers are used on occasion.
We attempt to meld the Holy Scriptures with today’s challenges. Through study, the class attempts to apply a Methodist foundation to better understand God’s grace and love in a 21st century world. This is a recently formed group which is attracting persons from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Lively discussion of current issues!
Class Pullman Class enjoys studying the International Lesson Series which presents vivid, stimulating lessons that explore different ways to understand and apply the biblical message to daily life. Helps adults move from a focus on the Word to reflecting on personal, family, church and community concerns. Class welcomes couples and singles of all ages.
Keeping the Faith
A group using various materials to connect what it means to be a Christian and living the faith.
United Methodist Women is an international organization that engages in missions and advocates for justice and equality, particularly for women and children. Our purpose is to know God and grow in faith through Jesus Christ; to develop a supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in global ministries of the United Methodist Church.
The Aldersgate UMW unit raises money for local, national and international missions and advocacy work, and engages in hands-on service in the church and community.
Areas of emphasis for UMW for 2016-2020 are climate justice, mass incarceration, economic inequality and maternal and child health.
The Aldersgate unit meets on the first Thursday of the month from March through December. In 2019 we will meet at 1:30 p.m. Check the newsletter and bulletin for information on programs and speakers.
In addition, we have several sub-groups
The Mother Carrie circle meets at 9:30 a.m. on the third Thursday of the month, March through July and September through December, in Fellowship Hall.
The Fellowship Circle meets at 1:30 p.m. on the third Wednesday of the month, March through July and September through December.
UMW Book Club meets monthly except for July and August at various times; check the newsletter and bulletin for information.
For more information and to get involved, contact Aldersgate UMW president Rita Carter at 515-979-0605
For more information about United Methodist Women, visit unitedmethodistwomen.org.
The United Methodist Men (UMM) at Aldersgate actively focus on cultivating opportunities for Men, of all ages, to deepen their faith, become vital leaders, and serve the community around them. We work together to provide a space where all men are welcome to be their self and build lasting relationships.
Meeting the 3rd Saturday of the Month at 8 am in the Fellowship Hall.
If you have questions about the UMM at Aldersgate contact Kaj Sinclair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mission: To Help Men Grow In Christ, So Others May Know Christ.
4 Areas of Focus for United Methodist Men
We strive to offer opportunities for men to be involved in all four areas of focus which will reach the world for Christ. United Methodist Men are responding to the four areas of focus in the following ways:
Developing principled Christian Leaders…
- Training UM Men leaders for ministry of Jesus Christ through Advanced Lay Speaking Course.
- Training Men’s and Scouting Ministry Specialists to serve in every conference by 2012.
- Training and equipping leaders in Central Conferences in scouting and men’s ministry with on-site visits and on-line courses.
- Training youth to be effective, caring leaders in church and community through ministries with Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Campfire and 4-H.
New places for new people and renewal of existing congregations…
- Awakening and building new spiritually as a means to revive congregations.
- Training clergy and lay leaders in effective discipleship of men.
- Encouraging and equipping men to serve their pastors and congregations as ministry partners.
- Assisting UMC leaders beyond the USA with relevant training and resources.
Ministry with the poor…
- Training UMM leaders to become advocates and friends of the poor, and eliminate the effects of poverty and racism.
- Expanding US hunger relief efforts through the Society of Saint Andrew.
- Supporting children of incarcerated parents through Amachi.
- Expanding global hunger relief through Stop Hunger Now.
- Directing UM scout troops in advocacy and fundraising for Nothing but Nets.
- Caring for hearing impaired Haitian children through
- Anti-tobacco advocacy through Faith United Against Tobacco.
Do you like to hoop?
Informal pick-up games are often hosted in the gym at Aldersgate. These games are usually half court depending on how many people show up. Contact Matt Hartle at [ email@example.com ] if you are interested in joining the group or have additional questions.
Every Sunday at 6:30 pm in the Family Life Center [FLC]
Over 40 years of tradition!
Calling all Men. Aldersgate is once again participating in the Clive Men’s Church 12″ Softball League. We play a total of 14 to 16 games on Monday evenings starting the week of April 9 and end in late June. You must be 16 or older to participate. The cost is $50 per player ($35 for high school/college student/part time). If you are interested in playing, even part time, call/email Tyler Miles by the end of March at 515-480-6969 or firstname.lastname@example.org
There are many options for senior living click on the link below for options that fit your need and income.